Do you need a car accident lawyer in Kansas City? If you’ve been in a car accident and need help dealing with the legal system and the insurance companies, Northland Injury Law can help. With nearly fifty years of combined experience handling accident cases, we have the expertise to help you receive compensation for your injuries and the damage to or loss of your vehicle.
It can happen to anyone, anytime. You are driving around the city, going about your daily business, and suddenly, you are involved in a motor vehicle accident. It’s important to know what to do in this situation. The Insurance Information Institute (III) and the Missouri Department of Revenue recommend that you take these steps immediately following any vehicle accident:
- Do not leave the scene of the accident: Leaving the scene of a vehicle accident, no matter how minor, is a crime.
- See if anyone is injured: Check yourself and your passengers for injuries, and check with the other driver if you can safely do so. Call 9-1-1 if anyone is hurt.
- Get to safety: Move your vehicle out of traffic if you can. Missouri’s “Steer it Clear” law requires you to do this if it is possible and safe to do so. If your vehicle cannot be moved, get yourself and your passengers to a safe place.
- Call 911 to report the accident: You will need a police report for your insurance claim and any future legal action.
- Exchange information with the other driver: You will need contact and insurance information including full name, insurance company and policy number, driver’s license and license plate number, type, color and model of vehicle, and the location of the accident. Missouri law requires the other driver to provide their information.
- Do not discuss fault with the other driver: Even if you think you may have caused the accident, do not admit fault. Insurance adjusters use the police report, witness statements and other information to determine fault.
- Document as much as you can: Get the names and badge numbers of responding officers, and ask them how you can get a copy of the accident report. Take pictures from multiple angles. If possible, note the names and numbers of passengers in both vehicles, and any possible witnesses.
- Notify your insurance company and file a claim: If you can do so safely, you may want to contact your insurance while at the scene. However, it is vitally important that you do not admit fault or sign anything from your insurance company without first speaking to an attorney.
- Find a car accident lawyer in Kansas City: If you or your passengers have been injured, or if you have injured someone else, you need a lawyer to ensure that your rights are protected.
If you or your passengers are suffering from injuries due to a collision, you need to find a car accident lawyer in Kansas City. Contact Northland Injury Law at (816) 400-4878 to schedule a free consultation. Serving clients in Kansas City, North Kansas City, Liberty, Gladstone, Platte Woods, and St Joseph, our team will fight for your rights, and treat you with the compassion and respect you deserve.